What size waste pipe is this?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We've got an internal soil pipe into which the waste for the bathroom is attached in our 70's house.

I'm in the process of re-plumbing the bathroom with 40mm waste pipes and wished to connect this with a suitable reducer to the existing piping...however I can't find the right reducer and it's driving me mad!

The T pieces in the part of the waste pipe I've removed appeared to be 2" as per the pictures below, however in buying both a 50mm and a 2" to 40mmreducer, both are too large to fit onto the cut waste pipe.

T piece one
View media item 51518T piece two
View media item 51520
Here's a picture of the removed pipe, with a 40mm pipe attached to the left, a 32mm to the top and the pipe size (unknown) to which I need to attach a reducer to the other side of where this was cut.

View media item 51519
I could really do with some help on this one please.

Thank you!
Andy

Sponsored Links
plus 32/40/50mm are all different sizes depending on who makes them

Push fit pipe can vary between manufacturers, but solvent weld stuff should be standard across the board. (You've got Marley and Terrain there already.)
50mm coupling, then reducer and carry on from there. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Would you care to enlighten me then on which manufacturers solvent weld waste products are not compatible with the majority of the others? I can then make a note for future reference, although i've not had a problem so far in 20+ years..... http://www.ppsonline.co.uk/compatability.htm

Solvent weld waste, 110mm, 160mm plastic pipe and fittings, and half round gutters are a universal size. Squareline gutter and push fit waste varies between manufacturers.

Have you tried a "mechanical" type coupler such as a McAlpine.

They will normally take up any slight differences in dia.

There are a couple of British Standards that cover Push Fit and Solvent Waste, there is a difference in external dia between the two, but all Solvent Weld should be of the same dia if stamped with the BS number. likewise Push Fit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back