What size wire to use on 2000 w hairdryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi please can you tell me the above, the hairdryer is wired using flat 2 core 1.5 wire and its my experience that this wire twists and I have had a couple of occasions when the wire has broken due to constantly straighten it in an attempt to avoid that very thing happening, is it possible to acquire the same wire in a round form as it does not kink or twist.

Sponsored Links
1.25 mm² flex is rated at 13A and your hair drier uses around 9 amp. What sets the size of flex is the size of the fuse, although you can get 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10, and 13 amp, 3 and 13 amp are the preferred sizes, the rest are harder to find, so 1.25 mm² flex is what I would used. Likely you will need an exit grommet as well, one of these
s-l1600.jpg
if not already fitted.

That sort of cable gets twisted from the practise of coiling it tightly round the hairdryer when you chuck it in a suitcase or drawer. Leave the cable loose in the drawer/suitcase, its annoying but will last longer. Round pvc will twist if treated the same way

Sponsored Links
One problem with cheap "flexible" cable is the lack of lubrication between cores and outer sheath. To be flexible in use the cores have to be able to move freely inside the outer sheath to reduce stress in the insulation when the cable twisted and turned around by the user. French chalk is one of the best lubricants for this.

W3BKnoE7IOMzfeX-PJX5IkKQjnNGF7epqSGuxBZlzIs.jpg
Be it garden hose or cable if laid as figure of 8 it stops the twisting. The problem is we rap the cable in a different method as unwrapping, this twists the cable.

Great, thanks to all the answers to my problem, I realy appreciate all the advice. always trust a tradesman. Duncan.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

When coiling cable always coil it from the appliance end and gently 'roll' it between your finger and thumb to help it coil without undue twists.
Oh, and make sure the plug is not still in the socket to allow it to roll along it's length as you are coiling it in.

When coiling cable always coil it from the appliance end and gently 'roll' it between your finger and thumb to help it coil without undue twists.
Oh, and make sure the plug is not still in the socket to allow it to roll along it's length as you are coiling it in.
Yep. Such fun training cleaners to do that- they used to wreck 10m pvc in 6 months usually by coiling it on their elbow. Same as dry sports attendants...

Yep. Such fun training cleaners to do that- they used to wreck 10m pvc in 6 months usually by coiling it on their elbow. Same as dry sports attendants...
I put a longer cable on my power tools, around 6m usually. We had an apprentice who would unplug then holding the plug would wrap the cable round his hand. I kept telling him how to do it properly and eventually banned him from putting them away.
Funny thing is one of my colleages tools had to have the cable replaced every few months and he could never work out why mine were never twitsed up.

Yerse. One of my training aids for Dry Sports was a mic cable that we'd been using on stage for 20-odd years, coiled and taped every time, perfect condition. Next to it i'd put one of their mangy disgusting twisted wrecks that was only 6 months old.
Many times i pleaded with the grownups to let me throw the next cableknotting idiot off the top of the climbing wall but they wouldn't let me :(

Yerse. One of my training aids for Dry Sports was a mic cable that we'd been using on stage for 20-odd years, coiled and taped every time, perfect condition. Next to it i'd put one of their mangy disgusting twisted wrecks that was only 6 months old.
Many times i pleaded with the grownups to let me throw the next cableknotting idiot off the top of the climbing wall but they wouldn't let me :(
I have a reputation for being very rude when people offer help and insist on doing so even though I decline their offer. I then make a big thing of rescueing the first cable before they get chance to do a second.

As part of my PA business I help out with local Hospital Radio and they have a plastic tub full of the wrecks you describe and don't understand that I've not provided any new mic cables since 70's.

Blood doth boil with these people:mad::evil:

W3BKnoE7IOMzfeX-PJX5IkKQjnNGF7epqSGuxBZlzIs.jpg
Be it garden hose or cable if laid as figure of 8 it stops the twisting. The problem is we rap the cable in a different method as unwrapping, this twists the cable.
I have extention leads up to 100m including 6mm² and 10mm² SY, this is the only method that works properly.
I ensure the last end to be included [the end on top] is known, I try to start coiling with the socket so the last bit is the plug if CEEforms [or vice versa if 13A to avoid damage]. It's then easy to lay on the ground the same way as when coiled and walking off with the end on top usually makes it uncoil perfectly without a second person helping to pay out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back