Economy 7 issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I posted this on the plumbing / heating section but others suggested this was a better place for it....

I currently have an issue with my Economy 7 storage heating system and water and would really appreciate your help / ideas. I've searched the forums and can't find an obvious solution. Apologies in advance however I am not DIY or electrics savvy (I feel a sense of achievement just wiring a plug ! ).

My issue is:

For the last few days, both my storage heater and my water heating do not function on the Economy 7 cheaper rates ie overnight. Therefore if i leave the normal plug type switches on for the timed Economy 7 operation overnight, neither is there any heat from the storage heater, nor any hot water, in the morning. They do, however, work using the manual booster switches - which is therefore my only method of heating the water tank and the storage heater. This will be costing me substantially more as well as the fact that I seem to run out of hot water more quickly even if the manual booster switch has been left on for a long time.

My set up:

2 bed flat - built 13 years ago (I've been here for most of them). No replacing, altering or issues of/with heating or water tank set up.

Dimplex storage heater in lounge. Connected by 2 wires to 2 separate switches - 1 is manual booster switch that allows it to be switched on immediately (that works fine) - and 1 switch that I would leave on permanently and previously would mean the storage heater heated overnight and released the heat during the day - this now doesn't happen.

Water tank with 2 wires connected to 2 switches - both the same operation as above. Again manual booster works and heats water - the permanent switch being on now doesn't result in water heating up on its own.

I cannot see a timer or teleswitch dial or anything similar anywhere in the flat - so am assuming it must be happening in the meter automatically?

Advice please:

Please could anyone advise me on what the most likely issue is?

Secondly is there likely to be anything simple I could or should do to verify the above bearing in mind I'm not an expert in any shape or form.

If the issue is likely to be complicated - or a complex investigation needed to assess the problem, then I do have an electrician that would come round for a fee - I just would really appreciate a bit of guidance on what he should do before I pay for it, as he has not had any Economy 7 experience - on the phone he said sounded like my whole element in the tank would need replacing which could cost close to a grand!!! Is this really a likely scenario / cost? Scares me as winter is coming so maybe I am for forced to spend that much even though I will struggle to afford it.

Thanks in advance.

Pics attached for info:

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbi...ot-heating-up-overnight.340452/#ixzz29Gh46UXt

Sponsored Links
I have replied to the thread in the plumbing section. It would be better to move it here as it is an electrical problem.

It would appear that your meter should be switching the supply to the Economy 7 devices but that is not happening or there is a fuseboard for the Economy 7 devices and that an RCD that has tripped or all the MCBs have tripped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back