What Skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All
I have just had my architrave milled to make an exact match for my 1903 house and wanted to keep the original look it has been milled in sapele hardwood

the skirting is a different matter.

I can buy this in most places as it is a pretty standard profile.
what do you recommed i am going to paint it white so the wood does not matter to much but I want a nice finish.
i am going to paint them in eggshell white.
softwood is prob not a good idea
any advice will be fantastic
thanks

Sponsored Links
Imo, good choice, I've used loads of this stuff and found it a good product. It's still worth conditioning it for a day or so in the room it's to be fitted in. And I always cut it to fit and then decorate it on a few sawhorses before fixing it. Saves having to faff around cutting in at the floor if you've put a laminate or wooden floor down.

Sponsored Links
Hi there
Thats good news, i think i will also try and paint it while its not fitted to the walls saves messing around after.
what do you mean by conditioning it?

Just allowing it to adapt to the humidity of the room by being in it. Mdf doesn't in my experience move as much as pine, but I have occasionally seen it shrink a little after fitting.

I just finished skirting a whole three bed semi. Used 100M in total. It's 5" molded MDF that came in 5.5m lengths and was good to work with. Came pre primed and the lengths meant I had no joins in it. Just top coated it with a super gloss.

Paid 90p/m for the stuff so was dirt cheap

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back