What sort of gasket is this and how can I remove it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to replace gaskets between windows and frame on my windows. They all have small holes in corners like this which I think might be letting water and air through. They are all tilt turn windows. Some door sized. Some large windows.

I can easily replace the flipper gaskets on the frame itself. But finding it hard to remove these gaskets between window and frame. Assuming they are wedge gaskets?

A few questions:
1) should the gasket go right to end? Is there a reason they all have small gaps? E.g. to let water through the weep holes? Or have they just shrunk.

2) Any advice for removing them? As I can only get hold of the top bit which then breaks off the bit stuck inside gap.

3) would it be easy to find replacement? And just press it in the gap.

4) Or does this require removing whole glass panel? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20211121_122314.jpg
    20211121_122314.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 114
Sponsored Links
And could it be replaced with a silicone seal if unable to remove the gasket completely?

I would guess that they have been in tight and too short, age and UV has done the rest. I would try an outdoor UV resistant silicon, just in the corners to see if it helped.

I would guess that they have been in tight and too short, age and UV has done the rest. I would try an outdoor UV resistant silicon, just in the corners to see if it helped.
Thanks. I thought about that if I can't remove them. I've read certain types of gaskets can't be removed easily (e gaskets?). Not sure if this is one of those.

Anyone here recommend against using silicone? I know it can be even more difficult to remove once I put that on.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't come out, certainly not while the glass is still in place, without taking the glass out to inspect the gasket more closely it could be co extruded meaning it's bonded onto the pvc or it's a clip in sightline gasket which can be replaced

It doesn't come out, certainly not while the glass is still in place, without taking the glass out to inspect the gasket more closely it could be co extruded meaning it's bonded onto the pvc or it's a clip in sightline gasket which can be replaced
Thanks. So maybe easier to silicone the corners. Any recommendations for silicone? [/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back