Thick window gasket replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My double glazing windows have huge gaps in the corners where the gaskets have shrunk and need to be replaced. The gap between the window and the frame is broad, so I'm having trouble finding a replacement gasket.

The only one that's somewhat near the size I need is this one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110744374238

Last year, I ordered some of that gasket from eBay (enough for one small window) and while it does fit, it's on the small side. If I press hard enough it goes in the gap, which I think means it's not wide enough ... or is it actually fine to just be big enough to barely stay on? Will this affect the insulation it provides?

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement similar to the one I have currently (see image attached)?

Attachments

• IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 53
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Sounds like the glass was made too narrow.

Sponsored Links
The 9mm I've indicated on the picture does not account for the little flaps which also add thickness.
I've contacted several companies which have sent me some samples and none of them have been thick enough except for one which was so thick I couldn't push it in.
Can anyone suggest any companies which manufacture window wedge gaskets that I can then contact to see if they have anything sufficiently thick?

As for the window thickness, I can't really say - the window does seem thicker than normal windows. I think the issue is whoever installed this has put really thin gaskets on the outside and really thick ones on the inside. It's a block of flats, so I'm hesitant about replacing the outside gaskets. Plus I probably wouldn't be able to so I'd have to pay someone to do it. And even then I don't know if they can move the window closer to the inside to allow for even gaskets on both sides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back