What sort of lock did I have?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The gearbox on my uPVC door failed, was a "GU case 35 old" style. I fitted a replacement and it works ok.... However the old one could be fully locked from either side simply by lifting the handle. If you didn't lift the handle the door could be opened from either side. Unlocking required a key on the outside, or spinning the wheel on the inside (Euro lock). It wasn't a split spindle. The new one requires lifting the handle then turning the lock. So what type of mechanism did I have before? Is there a reason the replacement does not work the same way? TIA!

Sponsored Links
I have a feeling that you previously had a rear door style gearbox on your (I assume) front door. You want the front door secure, so they're designed so that they can't be opened from outside without a key. But if you're in the rear garden you want to be able to go in and out without having to use a key, so they aren't designed to work the same way.

I have a feeling that you previously had a rear door style gearbox on your (I assume) front door. You want the front door secure, so they're designed so that they can't be opened from outside without a key. But if you're in the rear garden you want to be able to go in and out without having to use a key, so they aren't designed to work the same way.

I get what you're saying, but even on the new one I can come and go without a key. The door is only locked off I lift the handle AND then turn the key. Before I could fully lock the door just by lifting the handle. It's now more likely that someone will forget the key turn and leave the door unlocked!

Ah sorry, then you've got a back door gearbox on the front door now. I've made the same mistake myself.

Sponsored Links
Turns out that my old lock had the Europa Fast-lock feature, but I can find very little info about this and nowhere seems to stock such an item. No idea why as is much more convenient, being able to leave the house and lock it just by lifting the handle.

No idea why as is much more convenient, being able to leave the house and lock it just by lifting the handle.
Convenient, until the day you leave the house but have forgotten to take your key :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back