what switch do i have

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a rudimentary knowledge of electrics, but my lighting circuit is a bit confusing, its a council leasehold flat within a block and the council did a bit of renovation about 20 yrs ago including electrics.

i went to change the light switch in the kitchen from white switch to chrome, switch feeds a wall light and a fluorescent light, the fluorescent is the only ceiling light in the flat, the switch has 8 wires going into it, 4 holes ...2 wires in each, i am assuming the loop in loop out is done via the switch, anyway i bought an intermediate switch and changed it, but it keeps blowing the fuse, i know i did it right (well obviously wrong), now without sounding thick, have i misunderstood, should i actually be using a double pole lswitch.., I put old switch back on and thing works fine, removing one wire kills lights in living room next to kitchen, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
single switch feeding both a wall light and ceiling light?
4 holes in 1 switch?
then yes it's DP and not intermediate.. you got the wrong switch..

Sponsored Links
the switch has 8 wires going into it, 4 holes ...2 wires in each, i am assuming the loop in loop out is done via the switch.

You don't mention any earth wires - if your lighting circuit doesn't have an earth then you cannot use metal light switches or lamps.

yes the more i think of it, it must be a dp switch, it is earthed and i am happy to admit i was wrong, didnt understand it at first, hadnt seen it before, im used to the more conventional system loop in out of the light socket, thanks for your help and happy new year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back