What tests do you do before quoting a job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My new Megger MFT1552 turned up today, seems a good piece of kit so far..... :D

I was wondering, when you go to a customers house to quote for a job, say, to add a socket (upstairs or downstairs) or a light or add a shower circuit, what tests would you do quickly before quoting the job. I know you would have to check all the bonding was present & correct but I wasnt sure what tests could be done with all the appliances & light bulbs still plugged in.

Sponsored Links
I would do just a visual for quoting and add to it any recommendations.After all you are not being paid to test their installation............yet!

dont get too involved.

suppose you said xyz was in need of attention, then you find out that it is q that is the cause of the problem, you are stuffed because you said it was xyz

Cheers for the reply. I just thought you might have to do some earth loop tests or something. Wouldnt want to say, for example, the earthing is ok on the lighting circuit or sockets & then find when you come to do the testing you find a problem & you have extra work which wasnt quoted for.

Sponsored Links
I take my LTW325 and test at a socket outlet just to confirm an acceptable value for Zs. It's quick and gives an early warning of potential problems. Other than that a visual, especially of the supplier's equipment, fuseboard and bonding is more than enough.

I think you're right. The first thing I'd look for is the main equipotential bonding being present. Other than that, you really don't know without investigating fully, so let the customer know that.

Asked to put an external socket in for a guy. went round, meter cupboard had two consumer units TT earth 100mA trip sockets and shower all on 30mA trip "see youve had a rewire done " yea a few years back all looked ok. stuck the socket in job done. two days later phone call " my lights went out last night" oh dear.
Went round started to check it out unscrewed a light switch in the kitchen and found black butyle singles that could be in there for 40 years. so 1.5 around the lights but to save chasing they linked into the old cable drops down to the switches **** me....... beggers belief. did I do wrong by not checking everything 99% of the time when you see a meter cupboard like that it is a proper rewire and everythings ok. just shows you it is worth unscrewing a couple of fittings and a Zs reading or two.

os
ps what do you think of the megger just got one myself

When you do a quote, put it in writing eg:

This quote is to add an additional socket outlet, included chasing from the floor to the height of the new socket. Does not include making good afterwards. This quote is only accurate if the existing wiring is to bs7671 standards. Any additional work needed to bring the existing installation up to current regs will be at an additional cost.

etc etc...just covers yourself. We do it all the time for industrial jobs 'this price is only accurate if etc etc...'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back