What the hell are these???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woke this morning to find my potted acer crawling with these six legged critters. Any ideas what they are and how to get rid of them??

Attachments

• WP_20170416_11_55_26_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170416_11_55_26_Pro.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 201
Sponsored Links
show the scale please.

put a coin in the pic, or a ruler

What spray do you have for aphids?

oh, sorry, they are the size of a small ant, 2mm long.

I have no insecticide at all, I've never had pests before. I have no qualms about using whatever is needed to get rid of these blighters!

a common garden greenfly spray should kill them. If you have only pot plants, you could buy a 1 litre spray bottle at any hardware shop or larger supermarket. Own-brands are usually cheaper. Yours look a bit slim for aphids, but the common spray should work.

If you have a garden, especially with small trees, it would be worth buying a bottle of concentrate and a pump-up sprayer.

For anything that you intend to eat, you can get fruit-and-vegetable sprays that are less persistent.

If you have roses, you can get "Roseclear" which is a combined fungicide and insecticide and also treats black spot, mildew etc which they are prone to. I use it on most small ornamentals, not just roses.

Sponsored Links
Is it a new purchase?

If you're lucky, local bluetits will feed them to their babies. I would avoid chemicals because of this, i.e. the insecticide will also kill all the other baby bird food and this is exactly the wrong time of year to do that.

Aphids are easily squashed, they don't run away very fast.

Or use soap - mix with water and spray. That shouldn't harm birds but can be very helpful for killing aphids.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back