What the hell is this? Damp? Condensation? Mould?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just taken up some relatively new amtico and underneath the ply there seems to be trapped moisture or mould or something else?

There’s no water in that end of the building!

What’s happened?

Sponsored Links
Picture

Attachments

• 9CF9E36F-CF36-44A6-B6BB-97652E60AB96.jpeg
    9CF9E36F-CF36-44A6-B6BB-97652E60AB96.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 391
looks odd. More like staining? Put some bleach on it, if it does not disappear then probably not mould.
Could it be stained from a spillage from a while back that has long dried out?

Doesn't resemble damp, condensation or mould? Looks more like splatter from foam adhesive gun or similar.

Sponsored Links
to me it looks like airbourn dust and dirt that has been blown in on free flowing air
and for some reason has been attracted to those areas by tackyness or static but purely a speculative guess :confused:

Just been under the floor and despite the usual musty Victorian cellar smell the underneath of the boards and cavity is bone dry. I’m guessing it could be vapour getting trapped between the ply and the chipboard?

Smells damp when I sniff it

to me it looks like airbourn dust and dirt that has been blown in on free flowing air
and for some reason has been attracted to those areas by tackyness or static but purely a speculative guess :confused:

Could be sticky residue from the foam work around the edges I guess

My guess is because the lines track so well accross the TandG join, makes me wonder is someone had previously sprayed 'glue' on the the floor to stick down carpet.

My guess is because the lines track so well accross the TandG join, makes me wonder is someone had previously sprayed 'glue' on the the floor to stick down carpet.

To me it looks like spray contact adhesive which comes out like silly string

Panic over ... just realised there was Lino down when we moved in. Thanks for commenting. Had a mild panic

actually, it's mutant slug trails :sick:

Spray adhesive.

It looks almost identical to spray adhesive I've used for fiberglass insulation.

Amtico when installed properly uses troweled on contact adhesive and that chipboard looks like it's moisture resistant anyway and would be a uniform dark gray colour if it had taken on moisture I'd imagine

Sorry. Just looked again, and saw the ply inderlayment.

Makes a bit more sense. Saves a few quid to use contact adhesive rather than roll on or trowel on whole effectively still doing the same job once screwed or stapled down .

Managed to find a Google image of a similar texture but different brands result in a different look.

Also on site I've seen pro floor layers use spray bottles like the attached image usually packaged up on a branded cardboard box. Either that or trowel on adhesive. Probably down to flooring. When I've seen amtico laid it's always been trowel on but this is of course underlay and not as crucial.

IMG-20181109-WA0048.jpg

Tuskbond One Image.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back