What time of year to paint house exterior

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a quote for £1600 (plus £300-£400 for scaffold) to paint the exterior (4 walls) of my detached house and have been told it will take roughly 5 days. Is there a good/bad time of year to be painting the exterior of a rendered house - obviously screaming hot sun and driving rain aren't good, but how important is the general air temperature? Is early March in chilly South Wales an OK time to do it?

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Usually the paint tin will give you details of when it should be applied. There's not usually a problem in cooler weather. Personally I'd wait until it's about 8 degrees plus and there's no frost expected. The problem when it's cooler is that the longer the paint will take to dry and so you stand more chance of it raining before it does. Particularly if the temperature drops overnight.

I've painted render in hot weather with water based paint easily enough. Gloss is more difficult as it can 'drag' if it dries too quickly.

Wind can be more of a problem, by blowing leaves and dust etc., into your newly painted surface :evil:

I find the best time of the year for outsides, is normally late April or early September. Before this its to cold and wet, and mid summer (if we get one) is to hot or bright to work ( should be out playing golf)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back