What to do about doorframes when using laminate.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Recently I have been installing laminate flooring and replacing the skirting boards. I am keeping the edge of the laminate about 10mm away from the walls as suggested in the instructions. The gap can then be covered with the new skirtings.

When it comes to the door frames though, I realise that I could use trim to cover the gap between them and the edge of the laminate. But instead of doing it this way I have tried to saw a gap at the bottom of the door frames and then make the edge of the laminate go underneath them.

Is this a common way of doing it? Or does everyone just use trim.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi. I'm just a simple diyer, but sawing the bottom of the door posts is the way I've always done it. I'm not a fan of trim. I think it gives a far better look if the flooring slides underneath the doorposts (try to keep the gap as small as you can though).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back