What to do about this basin waste?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to re-work a basin in a (very) small toilet room. It has to sit on an internal (brick) wall because there is no room for it on the external wall (which is shorter due to door) so I've got to run the waste around the room somehow. At the moment it is a big plastic pipe sitting on the wall going about about 2.5 metres with 2 90 degree bends. It looks nasty, even worse than the lovely thick lead pipe sticking out the floor supplying the toilet. What can I do with it? If I channelled out in a horizontal run around the room like that the brick wall would surely be weakened, you don't need to be an expert to know that. I can't figure out how I could hide it in the wall and chrome is nice, but 2.5 metres of chrome running all around the room is a bit gaudy for me, plus it would really show up the "nice" bit of lead pipe supplying the WC (set in concrete, I'd rather not mess with it until I have more experience).

What do you recommend I do? I've never seen a nice looking pipe concealing system that sits on the wall, but if you know one do tell. The plastic looks horrible, chrome looks nice but a big thick 40mm chrome pipe all around the room? It would just look tacky. I don't have a big budget for this but I've got time and patience, cheers.

Sponsored Links
Well, for a start it only has to be 32mm waste pipe for a basin.

But that's clearly not the real issue - I take it the floor is concrete also, and that this is all on the ground floor?

On the other hand, if the WC is low level and the sink is a small cloakroom one, would it be possible to mount it above the cistern? May not be ideal, but it would be functional and save precious room elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
would it be possible to mount it above the cistern? May not be ideal, but it would be functional and save precious room elsewhere.

Could save on time for some gents aswell Dex :LOL: ;)
When the wife and kids are in bed, the kitchen sink always suffices ;)

I have a cunning invention in mind. You know how when you go on holiday in Muslim countries, they have that hose adjacent to the pan for, er, post-latrinal outcome cleanliness? Well, being British, we could adapt this to have a drop-down arm on a tap, aimed at the pan (which would thus become the sink) to wash our hands in a good old Christian fashion. :idea: This would obviate the need for a second piece of pottery whilst assisting in the preservation of water (acting as the sufficient flush for, er, liquid replacement), thus fulfilling the avoidance of "excessive consumption" bit in wras.

Indeed, one could argue that the development of this idea would be both environmentally sound (no need to run kilns for unecessary extra pottery), and of course entirely futile. :LOL: :LOL:

Yep. It's on the ground (concrete) floor. The pipe is a long run i think that's why it's been done 40mm. Above the throne is fantastic, 'cept the kiddies can't reach and I have a sneaking suspicion Mr Bureaucrat has legislated against that. I know it's recommended to leave 600mm around the throne, don't know if it's a rule.

Yep. It's on the ground (concrete) floor. The pipe is a long run i think that's why it's been done 40mm. Above the throne is fantastic, 'cept the kiddies can't reach and I have a sneaking suspicion Mr bureaucrat has legislated against that. I know it's recommended to leave 600mm around the throne, don't know if it's a rule.
Not sure about that. You occasionally see on this forum reference to a system (austalian I think, but available over here if you search hard enough) which has the lid of the cistern as a wash bowl, and the water from this helps to fill the cistern - thus saving water.

Also, can't see where the 600mm rule comes into play anywhere. Would be curious to hear where you got this reference from- it may be that it is recommended to have 600mm in front of throne to allow one to manouvre and stand/sit, but not at the sides(otherwise most public wc's I know would be in contravention for a start)

Another chronic insomniac huh :D Why are all the mortals sleeping, don't you know you can get 20 hours out of every day...

I got the information from the Collins book. It doesn't say behind it, it does say to the sides and in front. Saying it on here was as much a test of the Collins book as anything else.

The problem of the little ones is still there. They aren't gunna be able to reach that. Suppose I could tell them that's the "big children's" sink so they look forward to it but I'd sleep easier if they could reach.

The collins diy book refers to the ergonomics of design rather than the regulations. Hence it's nice picture of a bloke leaning over a sink with his elbow sticking out so far (personally I've never needed to swing a cat ;)). Good book though - covers most of the key basic things, although subsequent internet research (such as on here) will clearly supercede any final decision.

The only time that space is defined is when you're creating WCs etc for disabled/barrier free access etc in new buildings and relevant conversions.

However, I digress. Can't really see a solution without an excessive amount of work (digging up concrete, new drainage etc etc - "er, no thanks" I hear you mutter). What's on the other side of that internal wall - any easy way to another external wall anywhere?

Can you fit the basin on a slim vanity unit or custom-built pedestal (I recently made one from MDF which painted up in gloss white quite nicely) and run the waste pipe down through it to just above the floor. Then, route the pipe around the walls, with the required gradient, in a box, tiled over.

If the waste outlet is well above floor level, your next task is to bore another hole and join the outside stack lower down.

Thanks for the ideas, you helped me come up with a plan that made sense.

I'm trying to re-work a basin in a (very) small toilet room. It has to sit on an internal (brick) wall because there is no room for it on the external wall (which is shorter due to door) so I've got to run the waste around the room somehow.
Is it the door to the toilet which opens against the external wall thus shortening in? If that's the case could you rehang the door so that it opens the other way (against the internal wall where the basin is now) and then the basin could go on the external wall.

Nah, it wouldn't work like that. I'd draw you a picture to show you why but I'm happy with the plan I came up with, I'm going to get into it after the bank holiday Monday.

Plan is to move all the mess to one wall on the longer dimension of the room, fit a false wall over top of them (with drywall screws, thus technically accessible like the regs require for "potable" - nobody in their right mind would drink from that sink with all that lead and long water standing times) and then have short runs of chrome pipes coming from that one wall. The waste can exit from that wall direct to the external wall too. I lose only 8cm max of the room and while losing even 1cm on the other dimension would be painful, it can afford 8cm in the other direction.

Seems sound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back