What to do about this render.....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are replacing the windows and have cleaning and repointed the bricks on the ground floor front elevation of our house, now we are looking at what to do with the render on the first floor. Our neighbour just had theirs repainted instead of removing it while renovating their house, but maybe we should have ours hacked off and redone? Don't suppose anyone could give their opinion from the attached photos?

Many thanks

image1.jpg image0.jpg

Sponsored Links
I live in an unattractive 1950's pseudo art deco house- the type with the hockey stick window bays. The rendered walls were previously painted with a very high build paint. Using several different techniques, I managed to remove the paint back to the original render. I then coated everything with an exterior filler and sanded it back. And then painted it.

I did previously ask a friend of mine to quote to remove the old render and re-render. He warned me that removing it would probably crack the interior rendered walls.

After about five years I started to notice lots of hairline cracks in the exterior render. That probably explains the high build paint, I have been using an angle grinder to enlarge the cracks, squirt in Toupret Fibacryl and back fill with filler. The bigger cracks, I used a wall chaser and put in helifix bars in resin. I started the repairs two years ago, thus far they seem to be ok but on reflection, it would have probably been cheaper to Kango the lot off and re-render.

Hi,

We are replacing the windows and have cleaning and repointed the bricks on the ground floor front elevation of our house, now we are looking at what to do with the render on the first floor. Our neighbour just had theirs repainted instead of removing it while renovating their house, but maybe we should have ours hacked off and redone? Don't suppose anyone could give their opinion from the attached photos?

Many thanks

View attachment 235747 View attachment 235748

Would silicone render be a good option here, is it a bad idea on an house from circa 1910?

Sponsored Links
My main concern with silicone render is that you are stuffed if you ever want to change the colour. I have never worked with them, but I have seen a few houses that were finished in them. After 5(?) years they started to look grubby. I guess that the home owners could have paid for scaffolding and jet washing but repainting would only have been slightly more expensive (and colour changes would still be an option).

The firms that sell the finishes call them "self cleaning". I am surprised that the ASA have not taken them to task.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back