What to do about v large granite rocks found in workings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Digging a basement. There is a door at street level into the space.
Finding v large granite rocks as I dig down which have been used as a ground filler for the original workings.
I've been drilling lines across each large granite rock and using steel shim and wedge set to split these into smaller more managable rocks.
I've had only moderate success splitting these rocks.
At times the face side up part of the rock does not lend itself to even splitting and a few attempts at splitting need to be made.
Even after splitting the rocks are impossibly large to move.

Anyone reccommend a more managable approach?
Digging round rocks is absolutely no problem.
Lifting them out and disposing of them is.
Just been leveraging them out of the hole so far. Is there an available block and tackle system I could use, etc?

IMG_20190219_124936.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
they wont crack with a big breaker?

maybe hydraulic chainsaw

Could you dig holes and bury them deep enough that they are below the intended floor level.

Removing the earth from the deeper holes in bucketfuls will be easier than getting the granite blocks out.

Sponsored Links
Cavers talk about “chemical persuasion” or “a visit from Dr Nobel”.

Note that is limestone not grantie.

I'd be more worried about the existing foundations and the water table. I guess you have researched or had professional instruction as to the feasibility of soil removal etc?

Non-Explosive bursting perhaps?
I'm drilling 14mm holes 4- 5" deep and using steel shim and wedge set each 3 - 4" apart to split them down to managable sizes.
But there is not always a smooth even face exposed for working on, so several attempts on one rock may be necessary.
It's laborious.

You thinking of a specific other method?

Last edited:
Cavers talk about “chemical persuasion” or “a visit from Dr Nobel”.

Note that is limestone not grantie.
That's useful to know.
Watching that rock flying off to the left made me uneasy.
By chance it could have come in his direction though it didn't.
Maybe better containment would be best, with him out of the vicinity & remote way to activate.

Last edited:
I'd be more worried about the existing foundations and the water table. I guess you have researched or had professional instruction as to the feasibility of soil removal etc?
Be interested to know your thoughts on foundations and water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back