What to do with mantlepiece after gas fire removed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into my house a few months ago and its got an electric fire. Previously there was a gas fire fitted which the previous owner had removed and blanked up the hole in the fire surround as in the pic below (the electric fire just sits in front of it). As you can see, it consists of a silver flexible plate gaffer taped to the fire surround! There's a big 'letter box style' hole in it which means that I get a draught coming down the chimney and into the room. Is it ok to just seal up this hole? I'm not sure if that silver plate is from when the gas fire was fitted - the writing on it says 'Trueflame, plate must accompany its fire and be properly installed as part of it'.

Although it looks like there's no chimney breast, it's actually is external to the house.

Sponsored Links
If you decide to remove the mantle piece block the hole in and replaster you should leave an Air Vent at the bottom, and put a hood on the chimney, this allows air to circulate within the chimney breast, or you will suffer from damp coming through from the chimney and staining on the walls.

Hi, I just want to leave the mantlepiece in place - it's the cover that's covering up the big hole I'm wondering what to do with. It seems you're saying I'm best off leaving that letter box style hole in place to allow airflow?

And what do you mean by a hood on the chimney?

inserts_570x250.jpg

Possibly something like this (middle two in top row) to stop rain getting into the chimney and allowing air to circulate. Although if it was originally a gas fire there could be a cowl there already.

Plus the Air vent should be as low as possible in the fire place, this can be covered with a PVC vent Panel and not look obtrusive.

Sponsored Links
Cheers. Indeed there is a cowl on there already from when it was a gas fire. The issue for me was more that vent hole and draughts but I've learned it's best to leave some air circulating to avoid damp etc, so I'll leave it as is!

Oh, and did you notice the gas point to the left of the fire? I found that very strange on a modern (ish) house. I thought they were usually hidden behind where the fire would go, in the chimney breast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back