What to do with old turf?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just dug up my front garden an have a lot of old turf that needs disposing.

Obvious answer is to just hire a skip and let them take it away.
Seems ashame to be thowing away all that soil. Can this old turf and soil be composted somehow? Or would the grass left in there be a problem when reusing it in a year or so?

Any advice welcome..
Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
if youve taken it up as sods ie with grass on one side then put them in a pile grass facing down. They will compost in a few months and will make very good compost as the grass contains a lot of nitrogeon. I always do that with left over turf from jobs i have.

Thanks for that. Maybe we can save the skip hire and start a compost heap.

So I wont get problems with things like dandilions and seeds from weeds that are mixed in with the turf? They wont start growing when the compost is used after months of sitting in the heap?

Hope that doesnt sound too much of a dumb question, we're new to this so need all the help we can get!

Thanks
Alan

the heap should generate enough heat to kill of any seeds, but if you see any obvious ones remove them as you do it.

Sponsored Links
i always put the first layer grass down then the next layer grass up keep doing this until your last layer should be grass down this will give you a nice loam soil in a couple of months time ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back