What to do with the cavity?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a small double storey (habitable) porch/infill and I'm a bit stuck with the cavity.

It is, certainly for me, a bit hard to visualise so I hope my images help:

IMG_20220121_101234820.jpg

The new door will go in the opening at the front, the outer skin of the inner right hand wall will be removed behind the down pipe and it's the bit in front of the downpipe that I'm stuck with. I was originally going for option A, extending the inner skin with a nib - a messy job toothing bricks in with our lounge on the other side. I'm now wondering whether option B might be acceptable? To me it looks technically wrong, in terms of thermal bridging and damp penetration but it would be a lot easier and would retain the strength of that external corner.

IMG_20220121_103219432.jpg

Alternatively, if there's another option I'd be interested to learn?

Thanks

Edit: I did consider option C, seems easiest of all (and the reason for removing the outer skin is to maximize internal space in the porch), I'd just need a longer lintel over the door to reach the inner bearing, but I would end up with a 150mm section of uninsulated single skin brickwork (could it be lined with celotex?)

IMG_20220121_104509586.jpg

Sponsored Links
D - like A, but in timber, insulated and returned around to the external leaf, and a longer lintel, or if the dimensions don't mean lots of cuts, in brick with fishtail ties every four courses - and still a longer lintel

B is just wrong, and your last idea despite being difficult to do won't match the opposite jamb unless you replicate the awkward arrangement.

Thanks Woody. I've gone for plan A/D.

It's about 200mm from inner skin to door opening so I'll probably do it in masonry with the fishtail ties. The lintel I had for the job is now too short and the course heights are different so I'm going to use a longer concrete for the inner and a shorter single leaf for the outer. Managed to get a full brick out of the inner leaf for the lintel with only minimal collateral damage inside!

IMG_20220121_130308388.jpg

IMG_20220121_130513880.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back