What to do with these exposed live wires?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am re doing out bedroom upstairs and took out a walk-in wardrobe, which on the ceiling had a box to supply power to some spotlights that were in the wardrobes / ceiling.

I have disconnected the cable supplying power from the box (is it called a junction box?) to the lights, but my issue lies with the Mains cable... I have disconnected the mains cable to where it enters the box, so I now have a LIVE mains cable ( see picture) with exposed wires. I have pushed it up through the ceiling but in my loft I can't trace it anywhere as it goes through the joists and there is no slack in any of them to figure out which one it is...

So my question is this:

Is there a safe way of 'boxing' off the exposed wires? Can I screw the exposed black and red wire into something that will make it safe for years to come, rather than lifting up the floor boards to try and trace the cable, which will take ages and create a high mess as the loft is full of junk.

Many thanks

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_20161117_161940755.jpg
    IMG_20161117_161940755.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 207
Sponsored Links
sorry - do you mean you cannot tell which on it is in the loft? Or can you get a hold of it in the loft, but not trace it back to the supply?

sorry - do you mean you cannot tell which on it is in the loft? Or can you get a hold of it in the loft, but not trace it back to the supply?[/QUOTE

I have found the cable in the loft but I can't trace it back to the supply. The picture attached in my original post is how the cable is right this minute, in the loft.

Sponsored Links
I am not 100% sure (I will let a professional answer correctly) - but I would have thought the options available to you are:
1. Teminate the cable in a marked box in the loft. As I understand it it is fine as long as it is accessible.
2. If the cable is a separate spur from the supply, leave the cable in place, and try to work out which circuit breaker is and disconnect it.

I suspect the cable will be joined into an existing ring or the lighting circuit, therefore #1 applies?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back