what to do with this chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently pulled out a 50's ish tiled gas fire to open up my hearth for a woodburning stove. The picture shows what I'm left with.

I was prepared to prop the brickwork above the opening and fit a concrete lintel, but having removed a bit more render I revealed the original builders opening with arched brickwork.

The bricks that cut the corners of the opening appear to date to the installation of the gas fire, and I think, were fitted just to follow the shape of that fire surround. Also fitted at this point (i'm assuming) was a bit of old steel pipe (maybe gas pipe?) under the brick arch with packing and render in between the two.

My question is whether I need to fit this concrete lintel as the bricks fitted at the time of the gas fire installation will have weakened the original builders opening (hence the additional pipe) or whether I can cut the additional brickwork away to leave a square opening, remove the pipe, and walk away.

Hope this all makes sense.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

John.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't risk cutting anything away, if you remove the rest of the plaster on the chimney breast, you may come across another lintel.

Thanks for that prentice.

So, should I find a Lintel further up, does this mean I can then neaten up the brickwork below it?

J

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back