Original chimney Breast lintel curved??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_7660.JPG IMG_7662.JPG IMG_7661.JPG

So, we removed the old gas fire (including concrete surround) and started chipping away at the plaster to try and find the original builders opening but now slightly confused.

Is the curved brickwork the builders openings original lintel and everything below it filled in for fitting of the gas fire?

I can see where the newer, untied in brickwork is an add on but wondered where the support for the chimney above comes into play?

Sponsored Links
The arch supports the wall above

Cheers Woody! So am I safe to assume that the brickwork below the level of the archway can indeed be removed without affecting the structure? The doesn't appear to be any movement within the arches pointing etc.

Sponsored Links
Nice job. Good when someone gets back with the finished job. That will please woody, the arch actually stayed up.

well done, a very neat clean job. bring your boots you can start tomorrow.

an even betteryou left your rounded wood corners undisterbed.

well done, a very neat clean job. bring your boots you can start tomorrow.

an even betteryou left your rounded wood corners undisterbed.

Its so easy to just rip them out but i think you lose the fabric of the original house in a weird kinda way.

I saved them in the front living room too, sanded them down and painted them along with the rest of the plaster. More conservation than restoration but feels the best thing to do.

Apologises for old photo. Surround has been refitted since.
Screenshot_20180820-212510.png

This was the original room before 'restoration'

Screenshot_20180820-223149.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back