What to do with unused chimney/fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a open fireplace in my front room,
im not planning on having any sort of fire in the future,
The mrs wants to cover it up from inside the house, I know if I do this that I have to vent it still.
But I also have another issue to deal with first, at times I can hear pigeons up there, I dont know if they have nested or are just sitting on the top. How should I deal with this?
Get it swept and then capped off at the top???

Help please
Paul

Sponsored Links
it's a must to get it capped off. there are 2 types. a chinamans hat which is for if you’re definitely not going to use the fire place. if there is any slim chance then i would go for the gas chimney pot (a metal mesh sort of top hat thing). there is not much in the price (~£30 v £40).

you need to get a roofer to mortar it into the existing chimney pot.

once this is done you don't need to ventilate it (well i've never found that i've needed to). once the hats in place i cap off the underside of the flue inside the breast with a couple of roof slates temp supported on nails in the brick mortar and then mortar around to seal off.

not essential to get swept if not using it as a fire.

pigeons will be just sitting at the top but they can fall in if it's not capped off.

Thanks for your reply

I dont think there is a chimney pot,

I was thinking more of a paving slab?
I wouldnt be able to get up there, would a roofer charge alot?

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
the paving method has a posh name something like flanching. this is ok but you would then need to vent the stack inside the house as the effective cap no longer vents the chimney.

i pay around £300 inc the pots for a roof MOT which includes repairing any slates, flashing & ridge tiles etc

the big trouble as with all is finding a good roofer. this needs ideally to be by word of mouth - just ask all friends, neighbours and relatives. if this does not find one get a few quotes and go on gut feeling. i always have to wait for my roofer and he more often than not turns up at short notice. i know this is because the rest of the time he's flat out and the £300 is not big in terms of what he needs to earn due to the weather effect on when he can work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back