what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I would really appreciate any advice on my predicament.

I'm currently planning to build an ensuite bathroom in my house the problem is I'm not sure what to do with the ceiling. The ensuite will be around 2.5m squared. The issue is that all the ceilings have asbestos artex on them. To do the ensuite I will need to run pipes through the ceiling, drill holes for three downlights, drill a hole for the extractor fan and screw all the head plates to the ceiling for the partition walls.

I was thinking that the easiest thing to do would be to steam the artex off with a wallpaper steamer or use maybe a product I've heard of called x-tex. Is this the best way of doing this or am I missing something? I don't want to take risks with the asbestos and so don't want to remove anymore than I have to, but not sure an alternative?

What swould be best do you think?

Sponsored Links
buy some fpp3 face masks and hover your clothes. if you dont create any dust by steaming it off then you have nothing to worry about. i think people on here will tell you its a much exaggerated issue.

im only replying because my partner is a biologist who has had to carry out studies in the past regarding artex and she tells me that it is mostly in a fibre form that you can physically see. so try not to stick any stringy looking bits up your nose. she also told me that grinder metal is as carcinogenic as working with artex...then you have craap like silicosis from mixing cement, cutting stone etc... i was reading about ODTS last night which is about particles found when you are shovelling woodchips...weins disease anyone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back