What to inhibitor to put in a central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for some advice of what I can put into the central heating system. At my old house which had a basic boiler and was an indirect system I periodically had Sentinal X100 inhibitor in the system and when I moved the Potterton Kingfisher boiler was still going strong after nearly 20 years without anything needed except for one thermocouple and a regular service.

I have now moved to a house which has a Potterton Suprima boiler with a Megaflo cylinder and small piping to the radiators and I was wondering as it is a different set up, what can I use as a preventative measure.

I understand that the central heating side of the system has a small red expansion vessel which has a gauge which I occasionally have to top up. Can I add the inhibitor to the system via the radiator or is there another product I should be using. I have no issues at all with the system at the moment which is about 7 years old but I am just looking to prolong the life of the system.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.

Sponsored Links
If you have microbore pipework, it's even more important to keep the system clean and protected. First, you could drain some water out of system at lowest point to see what the water looks like.

If dirty/rust coloured, you could refill and hot flush the system a few times. With a 7 year old system, shouldn't be too bad though, so need to go at it too aggressively. I wouldn't think that cleaning chemicals were required.

More than likely that your system will just need X100, so the same maitenance routine as your old system will be enough.

To add to a very good reply, to add your X100 just drain down a little (a few litres will do) and add via the highest radiator. Chrome towel radiators are particularly convenient, as they have a vertical 1/2" plug, and are notably higher than the others in the house.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies. I was just unsure as to what I could put in the system due to it being a sealed system.

Also take into account that if you are topping the system up regular then also try to find the leak as this will dilute the inhibitor over time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back