what to look for when buying a jig-saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to buy a jig-saw. Is there anything that I should look for when buying a jig-saw. Any good brands/makes/models?

Sponsored Links
ali - ask yourself these questions:

will it be trade of hobby use
if trade will it be used 'on site'
how much am I prepared to pay
what sort of stuff an I likely to be cutting
do I need dust extraction

Trade means quality tackle - IMO DeWalt is the 'dogs danglers' but I'm sure others will pitch other makes
Hobby means any cheapo tackle from the sheds is usually fine
Site work - it needs to be 110volts so add in the cost of the transformer
Cost, see above but the old saying "You get what you pay for" is very true in the tool department
If most of the stuff to be cut is thick sheet material check-out the firmness of the reciprocating action and any blade support rollers

Make sure none of the pieces are missing :LOL:

As above really, but if it's just for home use the the b&q cheapo (under £20) ones are good for what they are. Had one for a couple of years and never had any problems with it

Sorry forgot to mention that it will be for home use only for the odd DIY project.

Sponsored Links
ali - then a cheapo jobby from one of the DIY sheds will be fine - spend as much as you can afford, if money is no object treat yourself to the best tackle around, IMO a DeWalt. The successful use of any (including the most expensive tackle) ALWAYS come down to the correct choice of blade for the material being cut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back