What to mix with white to make an greyish off white

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've a large amount of brilliant white emulsion that I want to use to paint some rooms, but it's just a little too white for me. Rather than waste it, can anyone suggest a colour to mix with it to make it slightly more grey? We had a nice white called 'independance' before (slightly grey), but for the area I have to paint it'll cost a fortune, and the local B&Q no longer stock it so it'd have to be matched.

Is it a case of just mixing a small amount of grey / black into the brilliant white?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
well it's not blue, but it does begin with B

but be aware once you have done it you can not change it, add a tiny bit at a time untill you get the colour you like, and then it may change acording to what you paint it on

If you have a sample of the colour you want then many paint retailers will mix paint to match it (within normal tolerances).

(i will use my "You're at liberty to do the same" option ) Pardon me for saying so softus, but would that not defeat the object? since the OP said

pjsmith said:
I've a large amount of brilliant white emulsion that I want to use to paint some rooms, but it's just a little too white for me. Rather than waste it..........

seems to me he has a tin of brilliant white he doesn't want, he doesnt want MORE paint

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
seems to me he has a tin of brilliant white he doesn't want, he doesnt want MORE paint
You're quite correct - I didn't read his post properly. Apologies.

you can buy tubes of tint from a trade centre that mixes paint.

You will need to mix it very very very thoroughly and you will probably never be able to mix the same colour again.

Itr might be useful to use this kind of thing - if not very well mixed it will be a different colour at the bottom of the can, so you may like to pour it from one can to another a few times. this is essential if you are mixing several cans. keep a careful note of how many drops or tsps you added.

100-2198F_C.jpg
handblender £4 at Tesco

or you can get a mixer that goes in an electric drill

Softus said:
breezer said:
You're quite correct - I didn't read his post properly. Apologies.

Stick to bending your copper pipes and smearing silicone everywhere moosh!

;)

Mix some black with some of the white in a separate container...then add that to the rest in another bucket..not the actual can of paint..it disperses far more evenly and you wont end up with patches

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back