Black and white will make grey, any problems mixing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought 12 x 10L pots of Dulux Trade Weathershield masonry paint last year in a super duper B&Q offer.

Ive tried a bit and we think it is too bright. I want to add 10%-20% black of the exact same paint type to produce an off white or subtle grey.

The colour I will obviously have to try and like but the colour aside there shouldnt be an issue mixing paint of an identical type should there?

I will obviously do this accuratly with a measuring jug etc

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would have thought the same paint will mix OK, certainly done it with emulsion.

Two things though 10% sounds a lot unless you want your house looking like a cold war bunker ;) I would start with just a smidgen of black (that's a bit more than a couple of gnats whiskers but less than a blob) maybe 2% to 5 % black. Then allow it to dry as the colour will change quite a bit after drying, see how it looks then add more in small amounts, or better still mix up several small batches as test pots.

The main problem will be mixing enough to complete the job, by mixing several batches you will not be able to get an exact match.

I've done what you are thinking and it worked fine although I was after black and very dark grey. As footprints suggests mix a very small amount at first and if you ever wish to replicate the colour you should accurately measure out the paint say in cups .

Sponsored Links
120L of paint?! You must live in a castle!! I used 20L of paint to do 2 coats on a end of terrace 2 bedroom house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back