True black paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

After countless paint tester pots and two failed walls decoration, I just had to give up trying to find a TRUE gray colour for my walls.
All of them have undertones. (green-blue most of all).

When I saw that there's no pre-mixed paint out there without undertones, I decided to do my own mix, and surprise...! There's no one single PURE BLACK paint in the market. They all have undertones too!!
I'm desperate really, because I'm looking for a very subtle gray to enhance the white skirting and cornices of my victorian flat.
Does anyone happen to know where can I find something to tonalize white paint and give it a shade of gray? I'd be most grateful!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Very hard to get true black, even if you mix equal amounts of red, blue and yellow paints, those base colours probably aren't as true either off the shelf.
You could just not be so fussy?! If it's not out there, it's not out there but there are a lot of grey paints on the market. In my opinion, a real grey makes rooms look like concrete and dull - they look a bit better with a slight hue. Little Greene do a fair few grey paints, good quality but expensive. Tester pots are thin on the ground in the shops (have to go to trade centers) and you can't get them if it's a colour mix but you can order them online from their website.

I mixed my own grey too, and it has a very very slight blue hue to it. Because of that, it makes the white paint really pop out and look fresh.

By the way, what does 'tonalize' mean?!

Hi!

The problem with the pre-mixed colours and undertones, is that my flat have north facing windows. The light is colder and any undertone will come up really badly. I've already painted a whole bedroom in a "gray" tone and it looks baby blue! hahaha

I guess I'll have to buy black paint in some place in the EU and bring it to the UK... I've heard they sell this stuff in Poland and possibly Spain too.

Sponsored Links
Mine is North facing too and it's not too blue, very slight and that's only in daylight. At night, it's more of a warm grey due to tungsten lights.
Why not go for something like a slight browny grey? Has a slight earthy hue and suits period property very well. Or French grey? That's really nice. Gotta be a lot easier than dragging a pot of paint from overseas, not sure they'd let you on a plane with that anyway? Driving be ok I guess.

Still don't know what tonalize means!! Grins.

Have you considered buying some carbon black pigment, and mixing it in to white paint?
(I'd be tempted to experiment with laser printer toner.)

If you think that has undertones.... I'd say "adjust your expectations".

Little Green do a specific Grey range. They are probably your best bet. Good pigment and resins.

Little Green do a specific Grey range. They are probably your best bet. Good pigment and resins.

"The capsule collection GREY consists of 28 shades grouped in one of four root colours: turquoise, green, yellow and pink"

Doesn't sound promising!

I reckon you're looking for the impossible. Perceived colour depends on the colour of the light hitting an object, as well as the way an object reflects the light. Unless you blocked off the windows and had lighting of a fixed colour, the grey is going to appear different through the day as the colour of the light changes. Even a photographer's "grey card" appears "warmer" or "colder" depending on the ambient light.
Remember that coloured items in the room will bring reflected colours into the equation.
I think you're probably going to have to settle for a mix which you find acceptable.

Yeah I guess so.. Last paint I'll try is one that several guys had recommended, a Dulux gray shade. Fingers crossed!

Well, update for those looking for a true gray:

FOUND IT!!!!

It's Dulux icestorm 6. They don't have it pre-mixed, but you can go to any dulux trade centre and they will mix it up for you.

It's great!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back