What to put under Real Timber Flooring?

Glueing straight over a thin screed layer over chipboard? I wouldn't.

What's your reasoning for a change of heart?

The glue is between the underlay and the timber. The underlay sits unbonded on the surface. Can you tell me what is the difference between the underlay sitting on chipboard versus sitting on the screed that's bonded to the chipboard please?
I didn't have a change of heart, I would neither glue straight on to a chipboard subfloor nor straight onto a thin screed layer on the chipboard.

Using Elastilon is quite a different matter: you don't glue the boards straight to the chipboard or the thin screed layer, the adhesive on the underlayment bonds the floorboards together.

Sponsored Links
Woodyoulike
Elastilon is not glued to the sub floor, it forms a bond with the flooring, now when the wood flooring wants to expand (summer) the elastilon is under tension (it wants to pull the wood back). Its not attached to the sub floor the wood wants to expand the elastilon wants to pull it back, surely this has to pull the floor out of shape (lifted in the middle)?
This is just interesting to me and would like to hear you thoughts.
I know how Elastilon works.

The scenario you're describing also goes for any floating floor where the T&G are glued correctly together. The weight of the floor normally keeps things down, only in situations where the (air) humidity changes quite drastically you can expect problems - but then again, you would get problems no matter which method you'd opted for to install the wooden floor.

Well I tried using Elastilon and it was looking bouncy after 5 rows. I spoke to the flooring manuacturer and the Elastilon rep who both said Elastilon could be used.

Problem is that the underlay isn't fixed to the sub floor so you could the flooring move when you stood on it. I ended up riping it off. Perhaps Elastilon suits long planks and/or short widths better.

That's £80 wasted. Live and learn.

Sponsored Links
The I guess you're right and it is down to the short lengths of the boards - were they "level"?

I know how Elastilon works.

The scenario you're describing also goes for any floating floor where the T&G are glued correctly together. The weight of the floor normally keeps things down, only in situations where the (air) humidity changes quite drastically you can expect problems - but then again, you would get problems no matter which method you'd opted for to install the wooden floor.

It's different for a standard floating floor as there is nothing glued to the bottom of the boards trying to pull them together.
With a glue down floor or nail down the boards are attached to the floor although they will be pulled together by the glue or nails.

All floors expand but floors fitted with elastilon are more prone to hump in the middle in summer (as far as i can reason).

Depends mainly on the state and quality of the underfloor - and even adhesive can't work as a filler - and the quality of the wooden floor itself

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back