What to stick in / on this hole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a little terraced house that I let out... I've just done quite a bit of work on it and I'd noticed that an interior wall of the bedroom (adjoins next door) was discoloured. I got my head out of the Velux window up top and I can see this:

37-roof.jpg

This would be directly above the wall in the bedroom below where the discolouration was (I've just re-painted over it using Zinsser Watertite and the same magnolia for the time-being) and it seems really obvious it needs filling. How on earth there's a hole like that is beyond me.

Do I just get someone with a long ladder to push a load of Dow Corning in there? Or do I need some lead, or some (!) Evo-Stick Flashband? Do I see if one of the roof tiles can be moved across or a wider one can replace the one that's there?

Can any of you experts tell from this angle (sorry, it's really the best I could do)... I'm not going to DIY-it but I'm only thinking of getting a handyman in to remedy, so he might need some direction.

Sponsored Links
What you have there is one of them BONDING GUTTERS :mad: there in fashion at the moment with morons. If you didn't put it in then the other house must have put it in so ask them to sort it out.

P.S. - nothing on the roof was ever done by me or anyone employed by me. Hence my lack of awareness.

Sponsored Links
Take a photo of what's going on in the guttering where the roofs meet - and if you can try to lift a couple of the eaves tiles to expose the arrangement that's been put in place to join the roofs (if any). That will help understand what might be causing the leak.

Filling the hole shouldn't be necessary. You should have something like this under the tiles, and for some reason that's not being effective, and that's what you need to fix:
https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk...rBNfDuYOPpZ4QVmlpc318zK0Il8Nxd51E8aAgOL8P8HAQ

I've had a Roofer around just now. He can take a look Saturday for me - take 1 column of tiles off each side, up the the chimney, put new bonding gutter in place, and replace the tiles - all-in cost of £200 (he'll also clean my gutters and look at patching a leak I've noticed when it rains heavily). I'll be glad to not have to think about this any more. Thanks for the pointer to bonding gutter, I would never have known the answer was not to place loads of gunk in that rather obvious hole I could see.

What you have there is one of them BONDING GUTTERS :mad: there in fashion at the moment with morons. If you didn't put it in then the other house must have put it in so ask them to sort it out.

Your info. here didn't enlighten me enough (just lack of knowledge of my part) and it was the second response that got me twigging. I see, now, that you were both talking about the same thing - but I didn't even realise you were at the time. Sorry.

Joining two roofs with the same tile in that fashion is ridiculous
why not ask the roofer to tile through the join?

Well, the honest answer to that is that I don't even know what to ask for and I'm being guided by others. I merely assumed the roof was sound to begin with and then, when I got some discolouration on an inside wall, I checked what I could and saw that big suspicious hole - if I can't even get the fact right that that isn't the problem, but it's the bonding gutter (which I never knew existed) then I'm not going to be able to suggest the Roofer does things like "tile through the join".

I don't see that they're the same tiles on the two roofs, though? :unsure: Do you just mean size and shape?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back