What to use as heat shield

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have to do some joint soldering near a carpet, it has to be done in situ. What can I use to protect the carpet from being scorched by the blow torch ?
It's only about 1cm away from the pipe.
Thanks in advance. M.

Sponsored Links
Asbestos substitute.
If its only 1 joint & you dont have any insulating material, I would lay a piece of ally foil, wet rag on top & the do the join.

Aluminium foil melts a bit easily. I have an old ally baking sheet which reflects the heat back, and spreads it. Wet towel underneath and spray the ally sheet with water.

I'd try hard to move the carpet - it's usually easier than it looks at first.

Hmmm, thanks for the replies. Yes, I tried foil & a baking tray, both started to melt the carpet, hense my question. Sadly can't move the carpet, it's glued to a wall, this is on a narrowboat.
I did mean an asbestos substitute really, what would I use, anyone suggest some brand names ? Cheers. M

Sponsored Links
u can get spary gell what prevents scorching if its diffcult place
cheeper option is to just get push fitting but make sure u remove all bears of pipe

ADL there should definetly be no BEARS near the pipe,If one of them catches any burrs he will get very grizzly :LOL: :LOL:

So I need to remove the old soldered (cracked) joints first, but I could use push joints. I guess I could cut them off & add a pipe extension. OK, thanks for the replies. M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back