What to use on old garage doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - The problem area is a set of very old wooden (pine) garage doors. Facing due south. Before I started tackling them about five years ago, they'd probably not been touched in about 20 years. The remnants of some kind of dark stain were still there. I sanded back, and then used clear Sadolin. It looks great when done, just natural and glowing, but only seems to last a couple of years before flaking off completely -- I've done it three times now, and I feel the wood is really not protected very well.

What would be a good approach that will protect the wood better?

Sponsored Links
Yacht varnish will last longer but any varnish will flake off in time especially as it's south facing

You might be better off with a stain , won't last any longer but is much easier to reapply as it will just need a sand down unlike varnish which needs completely removing before you reapply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back