What to use to decorate staircase sloping ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Please advise what I should use that will look good on the ceiling of a staircase, the ceiling gradually slopes so doesn't go straight up, it has had bobbly wallpaper on and looked naff so want to make it look nice.

At the moment it is just hard board which have been screwed to secured wooden slats, so is quite a flat surface.

I'm not sure if other wallpaper will look ok either, its wider that a roll of wallpaper, approx 1.5 roll width & a join will stand out I reckon.

Dad suggested Wood tongue & groove but I don't like this look either.

Has anyone seen anything else that looks good?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you don't want a different paper and don't want to remove the hardboard then the only real choice is to just paint it. (There are some really nice ceiling papers out there though!)
Personally, I would take down the hardboard, and providing the battens are strong enough, replace it with plasterboard. You will then have the choice of plastering, artexing, papering or painting.

If you don't want a different paper and don't want to remove the hardboard then the only real choice is to just paint it. (There are some really nice ceiling papers out there though!)
Personally, I would take down the hardboard, and providing the battens are strong enough, replace it with plasterboard. You will then have the choice of plastering, artexing, papering or painting.

A couple of nice suggestions, many thanks.
I will look into more wallpapers 1st & possibly lining the board to hide the joins. And if there aren't many we like maybe the plastering + painting.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back