What to use to fill channels in concrete screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Today a plumber has relocated my stopcock to the corner of the room. I know have a channel in the floor screen which is carrying the pipe to the new stopcock location.

I am going to be laying underlay and laminate above the channels so can I use a materials to fill the channel which is not permenant (so I can get to the join should there ever be a leak) or should I fill the channel with a cement/sand mix?

As I am not an experienced DIY'er can I used a ready mixed concrete repair mortar?

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
I am going to be laying underlay and laminate above the channels so can I use a materials to fill the channel which is not permenant (so I can get to the join should there ever be a leak) or should I fill the channel with a cement/sand mix?
Should be a permanent as long the joints are done correctly eg, solder type and not compression fittings, use sharp sand and cement, if you're not sure of the ratio mix, I think Wickes do sharp sand and cement in the same bag (normally 2 small bags of cement inside). The next problem would be that the new sand/cement will need to dry out 100% otherwise the laminated flooring will swell up because of moisture content, normally 1mm thickness per day! Make sure the pipe are protected with the correct wrapping tape

Thanks

The pipe is covered in a lagging protecting it from frost.

The laminate flooring will not be going down for another 3/4 weeks anyway so that shouldn't be a problem and we'll be used fibreboard underlay aswell.

I need to ask a really dumb question..

Do you need to add any water to the sand/cement mix to fill the chased channel in the concrete screed? And do I need to add pva to the chased channel to aid bonding??

Sponsored Links
I need to ask a really dumb question..

Do you need to add any water to the sand/cement mix to fill the chased channel in the concrete screed? And do I need to add pva to the chased channel to aid bonding??
A bit of water but don't make it too wet. Damp down the area in the channel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back