What to use to fill in trench in concrete kitchen floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After a plumbing disaster with a water pipe buried under my tiled kitchen floor, I have been left with a trench about 1.1 meters long, 4cm deep and 12cm wide. As far as I can see, the floor is just a concrete slab. Photo attached.

I need to fill it in before the tiler comes to do final levelling and replace the damaged tiles (or I could ask him to handle all of this, I suppose; maybe the tiler would prefer to do that work? He’s not always easy to get a reply from...).

Can anyone advise on what I should do, please? Just pour in normal sand cement mix at 4:1? Or a screed mix? Or something else?

How long do I need to leave it to dry before I can tile?

Should I use pva on the sides of the trench, or another bonding agent?

And how close to the top of the trench should I go, in order to leave room for some self-levelling compound and tile adhesive (or whatever the tiler will need to put on top to get the new tiles level with the old)?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• AF33D23A-4335-4B40-8F3C-45DDFFA9E474.jpeg
    AF33D23A-4335-4B40-8F3C-45DDFFA9E474.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Remove damaged tiles and fill, sharps and cement mix, level easy to achieve with access either side using a straight edge. Do you really need a tiler for two tiles?

I can't see your tiler being happy about filling a hole with concrete, if only because it will need a few days to cure before he can start work. Of course, you might want to pay him for the day to come and do the repair, first, but I would check with him if it's OK

Thanks to both of you for those replies. Good points.

How long do you think I’d need to leave the filled hole before it can be tiled?

And is a 4:1 mix about right?

Sponsored Links
Use ardex a45 rapid repair. Perfect for that. Just mix with water. Will be dry to go over a hour later.

Thanks Dazlight. I’ll look into that further- looks like a hole of the depth I have would need some aggregate adding to the a45, not that that’s a problem.

If I do use sand and cement, can anyone give me as steer as to how long would I need to leave it before it is cured and dried enough to be tiled?

thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back