What to use to fix patio pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I jet washed the patio last weekend, and blasted out quite a bit of pointing in the process before I realised what was happening. Looking at what came out, its pretty crumbly stuff.

Firstly, should jet washing have blasted this stuff out, or was it badly pointed in the first place? (Just moved in, so it wasn't me!!)

What should I use to point the slabs now (they are a whitey yellow colour, quite pale)

James

Sponsored Links
a 1:3 mix of building sand and cemenet, slightly damp worked into all the joints.

Thanks.

By damp, would that be crumbly, rather that dry or fluid? Not sure at what point things become damp!!!!

Rgds

James

you want it so you can mould it in your hand and not leave any staining on your hand or any liquid squeezed out.

Sponsored Links
Thermo- You say a 1-3 mix with building sand and cement..
Should that read a 1-3 mix with cement and building sand ??

yes, i was in a rush. It will be a bit too strong otherwise!

Just my 2ps worth, but I find if you just use a damp mix then it doesn't get a proper grip on the flags - and can easily get power washed out. Crumbles too.
I use the same consistency as bricklaying mortar with the same building sand/cement mix of 3:1. I add a bit of plastciser to make it a bit more workable too. Sets like rock - you can power wash that as much as you like and it won't budge. ;)

as long as you work it in properly and dont brush it then it works well. i usually give it a fine mist spray of water after as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back