What to use to repair damage caused by removing skirting boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for a little advice on what to use to repair the render which has fallen off during the removal of the skirting boards.

Is this a Lime render/plaster or will it be cement based, it's from a 1930's bungalow?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Michael.

20230206_132345.jpg

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem in a 1950's house when I had to remove the skirting. It was cement render in my case but I don't feel confident with that stuff so I used DIY white plaster. Remember the walls are very very dry so use a garden sprayer to wet them well before applying plaster. Given the thickness it's better to do it in several layers, remember most of it is behind a skirting so perfection is not required and sandpaper is wonderful stuff. Have you decided how to refit the skirtings ? I used that foam in a can stuff in blobs, again requires surfaces to be wet and have something heavy around to push the skirting against the wall as it dries.

Thanks for the reply, I'm trying to decide whether to use a lime based render or browning/bonding followed by easifill.

I'm just not sure if the existing render is lime or cement based. I can't see any animal fibres in it like I can the ceiling.

One strike plaster.
Mix it tick and dampen the wall before applying.
Before it goes off completely, use a sprayer and a float to make it smooth.

Sponsored Links
A test is to get a bit of the plaster, put it in a glass and add some vinegar. If it fizzes then it's lime plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back