What to use to reseal toilet and soil pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Water has started to slowly drip/seep out from where the soil pipe meets our toilet. It's an old toilet and whatever was used as a seal before has started to dry, crumble and fall away. (see photo)

IMG_20200517_161656316.jpg

What would be the best thing to use to put around the joint to seal it up again?

Many thanks, in advance.

Sponsored Links
Looks like a putty job, with lead pipe entering the property. If it is, I’d cut the lead back and use a multikwik, probably an mks1 being old.

Cheers.

I did wonder if I could replace the putty with something to seal it for now.

(yep. it is an old lead pipe)

Sponsored Links
Cheers again.

Might give Plumber's Mait a go for now.

Any hints and tips for using the stuff?

I wouldn't try cutting the lead if I were you . It could give you a whole pile of grief.
You should very carefully remove, whatever it is thats currently between the pan outlet and the lead . Removing all of it preferably. Pack p.mait ,tightly into the gap ,compacting it as you go. Plumbers mait does not bind too well to wet surfaces ,so make sure it's dry.
Wearing rubber / latex gloves when handling it .

To be honest, whenever I handle it, I just use a small amount of water, stops it sticking to my hands/gloves. However, follow Terrys advice regards to remaking the joint.

Personally I hate mait. it's a bit like PTFE - whether to use tape or thread, each professional uses their own preferred approach. Only thing about mait is it may have an issue if the area isn't completely dry, even the tiniest wet spot can make it weep again.

I'd cut around that putty with a sharp knife so it's flush with the pipe and then use a 'wet grab' silicone adhesive and smooth it into all the gaps.

Hi, can you suggest a brand of "'wet grab' silicone adhesive"?

I saw found this; Evo-Stik Wet Grab Solvent free Grab adhesive 0.29L

Is that the kind of thing?

Last edited:
yes, one of the Evo-Stick tubes are the ones I use - Once cured is forms a medium density rubber and is very resilient.

s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg

Only other thing I would suggest is this is really a temp fix, if it is a lead outflow pipe and if the toilet pan is moving at all then it will continue to flare the pipe and eventually burst the seal again so it does need properly repaired when the opportunity arises.

Thanks again. Yep, definitely a temp fix until we get the bathroom properly sorted.

Temp fix or not make sure it’s cleaned out before putting your preferred method of sealing to work.Personally I would use plumbers mate packed into the pan connector. You might want to get a slightly better connection onto the toilet. If you are looking at using plumbers mate an old trick is to spit on your hands and roll into a ball to get rid of the oil then roll it out and fit into the pan. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 469CA2EF-8BA0-4825-BF1D-C8B40BCC2060.jpeg
    469CA2EF-8BA0-4825-BF1D-C8B40BCC2060.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 313

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back