What tools are necessary/helpful for self-leveling compound?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago I applied SLC to a 30 square foot area using LevelQuick RS (Rapid Set). It ended up setting while I was still trying to encourage it to spread evenly, which resulted in a bit of manual fill after.

I'm going to tackle a larger area, about 160 square feet, and I'd like to avoid the mistakes I made the first time around:

1) I bought the LevelQuick ES (Extended Set, with 15 minutes of working time vs 5 minutes with the RS)

2) I'd like to use something better for helping to spread around the SLC. I have seen a few different products:

a) Trowel
b) Spiked Roller
c) Gauge Rake
d) Smoothing Paddle
e) Spiked Shoes

The gauge rake and smoothing paddle let you work standing up, looks easier and faster ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=BY3C8TWkwQw ).

Another video recommends using the spiked roller to release any trapped air bubbles and to blend SLC pours ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=g4auCNQWu-M ).

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions as to which tools to use? I'm a complete amateur, so would like to make this as easy as possible. But, I'd also like to avoid buying these tools if they're not that necessary.

Sponsored Links
What you laying ontop?
You will be ok with the trowel and spike roller.
Make sure you prime the floor as that will help with the flow of the screed.

Thanks for the feedback dazlight.

I will be placing Trafficmaster Allure Ultra/Clic Vinyl Plank Flooring on top. The specs allow 1/8" difference over 4'. Two of the room's walls are on the edge of the foundation, and parts of the concrete slab have settled about 3/8" below the foundation edge at the point where they meet.

I will prime with the primer recommended for the product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back