What treatment did I get?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently ordered 2x6 c16 tanalith treated wood for a decking frame but what i got was listed as "joists" and looks golden not the green I'm used to with tanalith e.

Anyone know if it could still be ok outdoors or if it should be sent back? Nothing on the markings clearly tells me what treatment it is.

Cheers!
Turnpike

Sponsored Links
Some treatments are not suitable for regular or continuous damp, and normally these are the ones which are not green or brown

Thanks woody and r896neo. Thought so. Chasing it up today. There's a certain builders merchant who always seems to send non tanalised joists whenever you ask for a 2x6 of any kind.

Sponsored Links
I've been told that the clear treated timber is all this particular place stocks and so theyve basically wiped out my long weekend of diy as I won't get anyone to deliver now.

As far as I can tell, clear treated timber is at best ok for grade 1 2 or 3 uses and NOT 4 (ground contact).

Do I need ground contact class treatment (e.g. tanalith e green) for a ground level deck which is actually sat on concrete pads?

Cheers!
Turnpike

tanalith /vac vac treatment all the same its all pressure treated timber same process different chemicals but end result the same it is ALL vacumn TREATED

peekay53 I might be wrong but I get the impression that if you're using timber sat on the ground you need treatment which is good for ground contact.

As far as I know, that is just the green or brown stuff, not clear?

peekay53 I might be wrong but I get the impression that if you're using timber sat on the ground you need treatment which is good for ground contact.

As far as I know, that is just the green or brown stuff, not clear?
vacumn treated timber the chemicals are designed to be pressure injected to give the timber a certain life resistant to rot and mould as for green or brown if you are talkin paint on treatments all they do is soak in the top layer properly vacumn treated timber on an end cut should be seen to soak in to timber 40/50 % of timber thickness.
Also if your putting in padstones put some dpc under timber/or they now do plastic shoes that fit over end of timber if your that concerned why worry you will have it ripped up and in a skip within 5/7 years

I'm not talking about paint on treatment.

What I'm concerned about is getting the right timber treatment for a ground level deck. I've always thought I'd need a treatment suitable for ground contact. Normally that is tanalith e.

As I've been sent clear treated timber which is clearly not tanalith e, I'm questioning if whatever treatment theyve used is suitable for ground contact.

If I'm going to spend days doing a job I want to do it properly. I'm not going to use a weaker treatment for the same price, irrespective of if I'll be ripping it up in a few years.

Thanks.

Update: I've sent it back and will get what I expected from somewhere else.

the thing is on the order to the timber merchants did you specify a certain treatment as your now saying you want tanilith e well never heard of tanilith e myself but if you have specified tanilith e that is what you should have recieved but did you actually specify tanalith e or just tanalised 6x2 timbers think you on a loser with timber yard unless you specified tanilith e whatever that is

the thing is on the order to the timber merchants did you specify a certain treatment as your now saying you want tanilith e

Read the first post.

Do you work at the merchants he ordered it from, by chance? :LOL:

I ordered online from a company who gets stock from various places.

Yes I ordered specifically tanalith e. The people I bought from agree with me. Maybe they didn't specifically ask for treatment suitable for ground contact when they arranged for delivery. However, they certainly did when they called to try to fix the situation.

The local suppliers for whatever reason decided to insist they don't supply it.

I actually had a look today while I was in the area and they DO infact have the green (probably tan e) treated wood so I don't know what's going on.

Anyway, I've ordered from elsewhere and the supplier has just wasted everyones time including their own.

woody: I'm in York so I guess not :)

Cheers,
turnpike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back