What turntable

D

dextrous

No sure if this is the right forum, but am looking to buy a turntable to convert my old vinyls to digital (mp3?) formats. Only really want to use it for a couple of months.

What's the best alternatives - buy (what) then ebay, or can these be hired?

Sponsored Links
Ion make turntable that plug straight in to your PC for converting vinyl to MP3. They're about £160 new. Don't know if you'll find anyone hiring them out though. They seem a bit too flimsy for the rigours of hire.

Have you tried Ebay to see if there are any used ones for sale?

I have considered the same form time to time you see them for as little as £50 Lidi, Aldi, Maplin etc. Also some of the larger supermarkets and PC world sell them. My vinyl collection is no longer High Fi and I see little point in spending loads of money to convert. I have used old record player and just plugged into the mic input of PC and it has worked although it took some time to work out levels.

However the old vinyl in the main can now be bought cheap enough in CD format and far better quality than I can copy at. So only the unusual like Jake Thackery is it worth messing with.

Even then Lime Wire and the like has loads of conversions already done and one has to ask is it really worth all the trouble?

I have some old "collectables" no well and truly out of print, which I'd like to convert before selling on.

Have a lot of classical music which dates back 30+ years, but no room to get a "proper" hifi system installed. Think I'd listen to them more if they were in digital format for PC, ipod etc, plus on my ebook thingy on holiday.

Not sure I want to spend a fortune for what will be about a month or two work transferring it.

Sponsored Links
The various USB turntables mentioned above will do the job, but if getting the very best quality is your priority, you may be be better off begging/borrowing a standard turntable. Assuming it has a magnetic or moving coil cartridge, which most have, you would also need a pre-amplifier to raise the signal to standard line levels which you can then feed into your computer's sound card. Using something like Audacity, you can then capture the audio to a high quality .wav file and then optionally convert that to an MP3. It's all a bit long winded, but if your computer has a decent sound card, it will sound better than the various USB turntables.

It's all a bit long winded, but if your computer has a decent sound card, it will sound better than the various USB turntables.

I agree wholeheartedly. All the USB turntables I've seen are absolute junk as far as the turntable section is concerned. The construction quality is so poor that I wouldn't even play any decent records on them.

Use a good, traditional turntable with a suitable amplifier, then couple to the line-level input of your sound card and record as a PCM (WAV) file. Use that file for burning directly to CD for the best quality, or convert to MP3 if you wish for other uses.

OK, I'm convinced. The next question is what soundcard would you recommend?

How many albums do you have to be converted?

The only reason I ask is that you've made some pretty big leaps in the couple of days since starting this thread. I think you have a good understanding that the quality you'll get will be directly proportional to the money you spend, and that getting decent results won't be cheap.

Pro-ject is a well respected turntable manufacturer. Their range includes some really good budget turntables. The Debut III USB is perfect for your job and Superfi sell it at about the cheapest price - £259 delivered. You then need a decent'ish sound card and some cables - M-Audio 2496 is pretty good without breaking the bank - £55-£65.

OK, in theory you've spent about £320, you've got a nice turntable but it is only fitted with a £20 'starter' cartridge. Hardly the highest of fidelity items, but it's the same story with all the budget t/tables. You then still face the prospect of ripping your home pc apart to put all this gear together and actually doing the conversion. Oh, and you've then got to dispose of the gear after.

You could go the second-hand route - a decent Pro-ject or Rega turntable for £80- £150 and you might get a better cartridge in the deal, but you'll probably have to buy a phono pre-amp as most don't have them built in. Pricewise you're almost back to square one compared to a new t/t and who is to say that a second-hand t/t will be in good working order when it arrives. You might save £20 or so on a sound card, but the same risks apply. Is it worth it?

Wouldn't it be much simpler and probably far more cost effective to hand the albums over to someone for conversion?

I have a Linn turntable. The cartridge alone (Dynavetor 10x4) cost as must as a new project Debut III USB. I have a high-resolution USB sound card that I use for audio analysis when looking at room acoustics, and with easy and cheap transport from Parcel-2-go it isn't going to cost a fortune to ship your albums to me. Would you consider using someone to do the conversion work?

OK, you've got the LPs, but no room for a 'proper' HiFi System - you don't have the turntable that you originally played those vinyls on? Do you have any HiFi gear at the moment?

Firstly, if the majority of LPs are over 30 years old (how many have you got, by the way?), I'd google, amazon, play.com, etc to see if they've been released on CD and how much they are. It may be more economical, and a better use of time, to merely buy them on CD and sell the LPs on eBay. This assumes you have a CD player or can play CDs on any computer you may have.

Do you REALLY want to archive them in mp3 format? You'll never get anything approaching LP quality with mp3. If you want them in mp3 for a portable player, I'd still be tempted to archive them in at least CD quality, and then convert them to mp3 if needed.

My approach is ;

Decent turntable
Decent HiFi Amplifier; feed 'Tape Out' from amp to -
Alesis Masterlink ML9600 to make a CD of the LP(s)

Put CD in computer
Make mp3 files from CD

The Alesis is the dog's b----ks for this kind of application. It's not cheap, but it's do the business. You can get one on eBay, then re-sell it once you're done.

If you go down the PC route, you'll need a soundcard as described above, if you don't hav one already - some software to record and store the files, split them into tracks, etc - and the learning curve that goes with all of this.

The Alesis will connect to your HiFi as simply as a cassette deck, and operationally, is as simple to use. Press 'record', start LP. When LP finished, press 'Stop'. Split into tracks, write CD. Job done. No need to move the HiFi to the computer, or the computer to the HiFi.

Whatever you finally decide bear in mind that MP3 will never get near vinyl particularly for classical music. MP3 is OK for listening on Ipod and cheap cans (sorry! headphones) but it is highly compressed and will be far short of the dynamic range of analogue records

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back