what type of chimney do i have what can i do with it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 1962 ex council house had one of those horrible wall hung gas fires in it when I moved in which was swiftly removed and replaced temporarily with an electric fireplace, I'm not getting ready to fully re-do my living room including the fireplace.

I haven't decided yet but thoughts are either a normal inset gas fire with surround, a multi fuel stove inset into the chimney or a gas fire made to look like a log burner.

my house appears to have two chimney pots one appears to be an open fire type probably from the kitchen but this is blocked off, and a gas terminal on the other this would be from the old gas fire.

so my question is what options do I have with this:
//media.diynot.com/186000_185711_74264_63615872_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/186000_185711_74265_75493483_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/186000_185711_74266_18699982_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing there isn't enough room to stick a new fire in there so it would need knocking out, would I then need a flue liner if I install a class 1 gas fire?

If I wanted to install a log burner I'd need more depth and would probably end up going into the old kitchen fireplace area, I guess I could just block up one chimney and use a flue liner for this?

Also the gas supply pipe used to sit infront of the chimney breast so I would drop this through the wall and link it to the back of the gas fire?[/img]

Sponsored Links
Just to add all I would be doing would be opening up the fireplace, I wouldn't be involved in connecting any appliances or sealing anything up or testing it as I'm not qualified in anything related.

hi sorry to bump but can anyone help?
the old fire had a sealing plate over the opening and a letterbox size slot through it, obviously an inset fire would need to go into this space so I don't know what my options are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back