What type of gas fire do i need??

ilm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

want to change the existing gas fire but have been told there are up to 3 different types i might need depending on the chimney i have??

the chimney is on the wall that adjoins my neighbours, no outside wall involved.

obviously will need corgi Reg to fit it but not sure what type i can buy for my chimney.

thanks

Sponsored Links
this is one that you need to get a corgi man on at the onset. i can't speak for them all but the one i know is great and the most valued of all the professional trades i call on (the structural engineer is very close though).

as you’ve got a standard brick fire place then i am pretty sure you can fit any fire.

i think the 3 types you've got in mind are (i only refer to gas)

1) inset - this is the most common and sits inside the chimney - this is the type i use all the time
2) wall hung - this sits mainly on the external face of the wall but still uses the chimney (it has a spout on the back that passes through a plate on the front of the chimney breast)
3) fusion - this is a new high efficiency fire which can be placed anywhere but does need a certain size room. it does not need a chimney.

if your chimney is in good condition then 1 & 2 can be fitted straight to the chimney as is. if the chimney is not good (should be the odd ball not the norm - smoke test will determine) then a liner will be required and a gas box fitted at the base of the chimney. there is a different gas box for the inset and wall hung fires.

this gives a brief overview but again you must get a corgi man to have a look 1st before you decide on the fire to ensure costs are kept to a minimum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back