What type of lamp is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title, can anybody tell me what type of lamp this is?
It's on the side of my daughter's house and it doesn't work. I've not been up a ladder to have a look at it yet, I'm just wondering whether to repair or replace.
IMG-20230616-WA0001.jpgIMG-20230616-WA0000.jpg

Sponsored Links
Probably 70W Sodium, have you found out where it is switched/controled from?

Its designed to stay on for long periods (often controlled by photocell, timeclock or manual switch or combination of these), some have a photocell in the fitting but I cant see one in that picture. They would not be suitable for use on PIRS.

You don't see that many of them in domestic

If she is happy with how its designed to be used then there are arguements for sorting it out and keeping it. If she wants it on for short durations (PIR, or just manually switched when going outside, etc) then you'd need to look at changing to LED

Sponsored Links
it was the show home.
Put there to illuminate the show home for hours or weeks at a time. May have been disconnected prior to the house being sold.

If power can still be provided there, replace with something more appropriate.

It hasn't been disconnected as she says that it used to work. But, she doesn't know where the switch is or, where it is powered from, I'll have to investigate.

As it has a plastic cover most likely a Son lamp, looks like a 70 w, if you have binoculars or decent camera try and read the label.
They do two types but most likely Internal ignited, this will be on the label as well as the lamp.
Metal halide runs at higher temperature and we're mainly glass fronted.

Where I worked around 2000 we got kits to convert son to metal halide, so the lamp looked the same, one had to read the writing on the bulb.
Yellow sons started going out of fashion,, them kits included a metal halide lamp and an igniter.
If your son was External ignited then no need to fit the igniter, for most sizes son and M/H use the same ballast.

IMG-20230623-WA0000.jpg
She found the switch for it and the light works.
On the other side of the wall that the lamp is on is the main bedroom. On the wall, just to the side of the headboard is a fused switch, that's where the lamp gets its power from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back