Flourescent lamp troubleshooting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to the forum and wondering if anybody can help with a problem that I have with flourescent battens that I have in my garage.

I have three single fitting 58 watt T8 lamps, none of which are working. All three we're working. I had the ceiling reskimmed after a small leak from the house above. A sparky disconnected and refitted them after the plaster work. All 3 we're working after they were refitted. After a couple of months one often took a long time to come on but would eventually warm up. Then they all stopped working. I took out the tubes and reseated and I got two working. Once again all three battens have stopped working.

None of the lamps have starters, so I thought it's either the tubes, ballast or a supply/connection problem. So I bought 3 new tubes and fitted only one, tested and it slowly came on but was quite dim. I went ahead and fitted tubes to the other 2 lamps - switched on and all three wouldn't fire up. After not working for days, 2 of the lamps came on yesterday but none would work today. Decided it must be the ballasts and opted to replace the 3 fittings. So replaced only one of the battens this afternoon, definitely wired correctly and earthed but it doesn't work. Decided to check the other two lamps(not replaced yet) to make sure they were wired and earthed correctly and the appear to be fine.

I guess it is possible that the new unit is faulty so I will go ahead and replace the other 2 next weekend. However, I'm beginning to think it's something more serious than just the ballasts. Anybody got any advice before I fork out for an electrician? Thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm new to the forum and wondering I have three single fitting 58 watt T8 lamps, none of which are working. All three we're working. I had the ceiling reskimmed after a small leak from the house above. A sparky disconnected and refitted them after the plaster work. All 3 we're working after they were refitted.
The problem is probably a loose connection on the mains, at the first fitting on the circuit or at the switch.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Decided to check the switch which was fine, however noticed it was a 2 way which surprised me - despite having lived in the house for two years. Found the other switch which had blown from water damage. Damp wall at the garage door that I now have to address ! Light issue fixed though - thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back