What type of paint should I use on MDF wall paneling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im doing up an old house that has not been decorated inkeeping with its age and design over the last 80 odd years and looks terrible.

Im trying to make the dining room have the old posh panelled look but cost would be high in Oak and my joiner who is very skilled and helpful on the detail side of how things were has suggested making a panel effect on the wall. I saw this also on Beenies house restoration series and It did actually look quite good. And no I dont live in a 66 room mansion far from it!

Sheet the wall with say 12mm, produce frames 22mm x 100mm stock and then infill the frames with a burbridge moulding etc

I would then paint this, I would actually paint the MDF once it was in place then the burbridge moulding prior to fitting with a contrasting colour.

What should I use on the MDF? Could I used emulsion? If not water or oil based?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back