What type of sand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine is having building troubles (all in another post) but she has had the correct procedure outlined by an expert and this states to use building sand as a blinding layer between hardcore and damp proof membrane when doing a floor. I recently build a conservatory and I used sharp sand for this as I was told it would be ok and I was obviously buying a large amount anyway. But after seeing it stated that this has to be building sand I am a little concerned. Will this compromise the damp proof membrane in any way? It's a bit late now as the floor is finished, but should I expect damp problems in the future?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reassurance. However you leave me with another question, what is holm sand? I am not a builder and have never heard of it.

And as for sleeping at night, I should be so lucky! My daughter is teething.

again, don't worry too much, holm sand in the south west usually relates to a softer more rounded building sand, often used in bricklaying etc. Sharper sand is better for screeding etc.....

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks. Not worried any more, you already put my mind at rest, just curious as to what it was. His list actually stated "soft building sand" so I guess it's the same thing. Learn something new every day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back