What type of shower tray to get and what options are there available in general?

K

kettlejim

I've never bought fittings for showers/toilets/bathrooms etc

The plumber is asking me to buy a shower tray of a specific size and to ensure that the plug is not in the middle of it.
What difference does the location of the plug make?
Are shower trays able to be mixed with different brands meaning you could use all different components for a shower system?
Is the biggest choice to decide on either a porcelain one or a plastic one and does anybody have any opinions as to which is the best material to go for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
As above, Wickes had a good selection a few months ago when I bought one. As for the waste- that's just to make his life easier. Buy one with the waste in the tray corner and you can bet he won't position it in the shower corner! Praps he has short arms!

Sponsored Links
Stone resin for me.
Low profile, think it’s 25mm tall.

Dragging it upstairs was a different story, as they are heavy, and it was set in a mortar bed.

What difference does the location of the plug make?
If there are obstructions in the floor below, a lot. Such as it being possible to install it or not at all.

Are shower trays able to be mixed with different brands meaning you could use all different components for a shower system?
A tray is just a tray.
What goes above or on it is mostly unrelated.

Why not ask these questions to your plumber? You are the one paying him! Andy
I always get different opinions about issues anyway but in general I don't see the plumber or talk with him and I also independently fact check and look for different opinions especially as people and their facts can be wrong
If there are obstructions in the floor below, a lot. Such as it being possible to install it or not at all.
Ok thank you
A tray is just a tray. What goes above or on it is mostly unrelated.
Thanks
As above, Wickes had a good selection a few months ago when I bought one. As for the waste- that's just to make his life easier. Buy one with the waste in the tray corner and you can bet he won't position it in the shower corner! Praps he has short arms!
Thanks charliegolf :)
Get a stone resin tray from Just Trays.
(JT Fusion).https://www.just-trays.co.uk/products/fusion-by-jt/
Sounds heavy though - I'll probably go with a porcelain shower tray so they've got a bit of firmness to them at least

"but in general I don't see the plumber or talk with him"

So how did he know you needed a plumber? did he just turn up??

Andy

"but in general I don't see the plumber or talk with him" So how did he know you needed a plumber? did he just turn up?? Andy
So this time one of the trades is acting as a type of project manager along with me - I try to filter all my communications mainly him - the tradesman are all people he knows, trusts and works with so I discuss the job with pm and any issues or questions I go back to the pm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back