What type of shower will work for me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I'm looking at refurbing our bathroom in the next couple of months, and would like to replace shower at the same time (currently a basic Mira electric). It's OK, but needs to be turned up to max to get a decent temperature and the flow rate then suffers. Also as it's coming in from the mains cold, there's fluctuations through the season.
What can I use instead?
Have got a Baxi Bermuda back boiler (which I know is ancient, but is serviced regularly and hasn't let me down, touch wood). Hot water tank is in the loft, directly above the bathroom.
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
AlexH

Sponsored Links
There are four main types:

1. Instantaneous electric (what you have)
2. Via combi boiler (shower fed with hot water at mains pressure)
3. Gravity stored with mixer (Cylinder with header tank, as now)
4. Power shower (pump fitted to improve 3 above where insufficient head)

The instantaneous electric will produce hot water from the cold mains water, the bigger the kW rating the more hot water it will produce. Newer models can have a degree of stabilsation, but can still be subject to pressure fluctuation. You may have to uprate the existing cable, MCB and switches for a larger kW shower.

If you were to change your boiler, a combi boiler will produce hot water at mains pressure and can be connected straight to a shower mixer.

If you want to use stored water for a shower, then the performance will depend on the height of the header tank in the loft above the shower head. The shower manufacturer will recomend a minimum head for satisfactory operation. (usually a minimum of 1 metre is recomended between the top of the water in the tank and the shower head below) If the head's not sufficient, a booster pump (power shower) can be fitted. For control there are valves that just mix the hot and cold water by volume, and others which are temperature stabilised but more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back